Your body is extremely resilient and adaptive under a variety of conditions, but it cannot accomplish the demands of whatever happens to be thrown its way without proper nutrition and physiological support. Stress and fatigue tend to be a huge struggle for just about everyone, causing detrimental effects to your physical and mental health.
Businesses are jumping on taking advantage of the growing number of caffeine and sugar addictions, hence the ability to find at least one, if not two, coffee shops on just about every block. The endless supply of sugar filled lattes and carb loaded treats give your body and mind a boost of energy and a quick fix, and then abruptly leave you craving more and further exhausted.
Your body has a surprising ability to manage stress, yet on the inside your body is pleading for rest. Chronically elevated cortisol levels can affect every system in your body like burnt out adrenal glands, overstressed digestive tract, rapid aging, anxiety, cancer, chronic fatigue, common cold, hormone imbalance, irritable bowel disease, auto-immune disorders, thyroid conditions, and weight loss resistance.
Instead of just reaching for a short-lived remedy, I want to introduce an effective, long-term alternative for your body that will increase your resistance to stress, anxiety, and fatigue.
Adaptogens are a class of plants used for their healing abilities of balancing, restoring, and protecting your body as a whole – little miracles I call them.
Adaptogens were granted their name because of their distinctive ability to ‘adapt’ their function according to your body’s needs. An adaptogen does not have a specific action, nor target a certain body region, rather it benefits the body as a whole, being able to respond to any influence or stressor that it needs to.
These rejuvenating plants improve and recharge the health of your adrenal glands, counteracting the harmful effects of stress. Cells are accessed more energy and the ability to eliminate toxic byproducts of the metabolic process to help the body use oxygen more efficiently. More cellular energy in combination with boosting the adrenal glands strengthens the body’s ability to cope with stress, anxiety, and fatigue – calming you down and boosting you up simultaneously.
While prescription drugs remain in your system and influence multiple organs, once an adaptogen has completed its job, those herbs are eliminated or absorbed into the body without any side effects. Adaptogens work slowly and gently, contrasting the instantaneous gratification of the caffeine cycle, you must be patient because they work subtly but the benefits are undeniable and long lasting.
Here are 6 of my favorite adaptogens:
1. AshwagandaThe easer of anxiety, depression and sleep issues. Ashwaganda has immuno-modulating effects that boost and regulate the immune system and lower cortisol levels. You can take Ashwaganda is supplement form, I recommend Organic India Ashwaganda.
2. AstralagusIncreases the amount of anti-stress compounds our bodies use to prevent and repair stress-related damage. By reducing the ability of stress hormones like cortisol to bind to receptors, astralagus boosts immunity and shields the body from the effects of stress. I recommend adding 20-30 drops of Astralagus Root Extract to your morning juices or smoothies.
3. Cordycep MushroomFunguses with antioxidant properties include Reishi, Shiitake, and Maitake mushrooms. Each have adaptogenic, anti-tumor, and immune enhancing properties. You can easily add a scoop of Cordycep powder to Smoothies, I like Mushroom Matrix Organic Cordycep.
4. Holy Basil (Tulsi)Referred to as the “elixir of anti-aging,” holy basil helps fight fatigue and stress, boosts the immune system, and regulates blood sugar, blood pressure, and hormone levels. My favorite way to enjoy Holy Basil is in a warm cup of Tulsi Tea by Organic India.
5. Rhodiola (Golden Root)Contains the phytochemical salisdroside which helps resist anxiety and aging. Other benefits include suppression of the production of cortisol, increased levels of stress-resistant proteins, restoration of normal patterns of eating and sleeping after stress, resistance to mental and physical fatigue, and protection against oxidative stress, heat stress, radiation and toxic chemicals. Additional research has shown this adaptogen can protect the heart and liver, increase use of oxygen, improve memory and longevity, as well as aid in weight loss. One of the easiest ways to take is in supplement form, I suggest Gaia Herbs Rhodiola.
6. SchisandraUsed for preventing early aging which counteracts cortisol’s aging effects. Schisandra is also used to increase lifespan, increase resistance to disease, increase energy and physical performance, normalize blood sugar, and stimulate the immune system. You can easily take as a supplement, like these Planetary Herb Adrenal Complex or add into shakes, juices, smoothies with Dragon Herb’s Goji & Shizandra.
Incorporating adaptogens into your daily regimen will allow you to feel a huge improvement in your energy and stress levels, a bigger improvement than you could think some small plants can do.
Epsom Salts are Another Fantastic Natural Stress Reliever. Learn More Here!