The search for happiness is a truly sad and miserable one when we fail to realize that happiness is not something that we buy or work for, but something that is within our reach each and everyday. Something that we should cherish, regardless of our circumstances. It all comes down to how we view our world.
The quickest way to finding true happiness, true peace and contentment, lies in the power of gratitude.
But it’s not just about being thankful for all the good in your life. To truly be grateful, you must also be thankful for the down times; the challenging times in your life.
“Cultivate the habit of being grateful for every good thing that comes to you, and to give thanks continuously. And because all things have contributed to your advancement, you should include all things in your gratitude.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson
It really doesn’t take much time or effort to start cultivating a more grateful life. You just need to start. Here’s 6 ways we like to show our gratitude each day:
1. Keep A Gratitude JournalIt can reinforce positive thoughts, which helps to shift the brain’s natural tendency of focusing on the negatives, to remembering more of the positives.
2. Make Time To Spend With People That Truly Matter The MostAnd show them how much they mean to you! Showing gratitude for others lets them know how much you value them and also makes you feel good too!
3. A Gratitude SessionSimply take a few minutes each day to give thanks for whatever or whoever you are grateful for. You can sit quietly, close your eyes and just think about what you’re grateful for, or find an alternative routine that works for you. This one act alone can make a huge difference.
4. Be Courteous To OthersSay please and thank you, and really mean it. Give way to another person, or help someone with their heavy luggage. Small random acts of kindness not only help the other person, they make you feel good.
5. Savor The Small ThingsThe simple act of slowing down long enough to enjoy the little things in life can make a huge impact to your mood! Savor the smell of your coffee a little while longer, be present when doing your daughter’s hair and really listen to her chatter. Sit down to eat lunch and really take time to enjoy what you’re eating. Give yourself daily opportunities to find little pieces of happiness and joy. They all add up!
6. View Your Blessings As Just That, BlessingsRather than feeling entitled to certain things, view them as gifts that you are truly grateful for receiving. If you have shelter, food, clean drinking water, these are gifts. True blessings. Not an entitlement. It’s as simple as changing your thoughts. Change your thoughts and you’ll change your world.
As you can see, cultivating gratitude doesn’t require drastic lifestyle changes. Simply starting with one or two of these suggestions can increase your wellbeing and happiness greatly.