Skip the packaged granola, put half an hour aside and create your own granola mixture, consisting of nothing but the ingredients that you love. Here's one of our favorite warming combinations; however this recipe can easily be adapted to star your own favorite ingredients. Swap out the nuts & seeds if you have an allergy, add in some puffed brown rice or puffed quinoa, swap apple sauce for mashed banana... The choices are endless.
- 2 cups rolled oats (or swap with soaked whole buckwheat)
- 1/2 cup uncooked (washed) quinoa
- 1 cup almonds (we used a mixture of whole & slivered)
- 1/2 cup seeds (we used combination of sunflower & pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 large apple, diced
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce (depending on how sweet you want it)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2-3 tbsp raw local honey or pure maple syrup (depending on how sweet you want it)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 320° F (160° C) and line baking tray with baking paper.
- Mix all dry ingredients (except apple, apple sauce, coconut oil, honey) in large mixing bowl.
- Combine diced apple, apple sauce, coconut oil & honey.
- Add ‘wet’ mixture to the dry ingredients, stirring well to ensure all of the dry ingredients are well coated.
- Spread evenly on lined baking tray and bake for 10-15 minutes. Stir well to avoid clusters forming, and bake for another 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Check regularly to avoid burning.
- Allow the mixture to cool completely before storing your granola. Store in airtight container for up to a week, without the apple, you should be able to store for up to a month.