Today, thanks to their wide-spread availability, they’re a powerhouse addition to anybody's diet! Rich in nutrients and so easy to use, they can be eaten raw, soaked in juice, added to porridge, puddings, and baked goods, and even included into your smoothies, breakfasts, yogurt, salads, quinoa and veggie dishes.
They also have an amazing ability to absorb water and fat, so they can be used to thicken sauces or as a vegan egg substitute in recipes too!
Here are 14 proven health benefits of chia seeds:
1. They Are Rich In AntioxidantsChia seeds are high in antioxidants which helps fight free radical damage in the body, but also helps to prevent the healthy fats from going rancid in the seeds. You also don't need to grind them to a meal like you do with flaxseeds to get the most benefits!
Chia seeds are organic, raw, Non-GMO, non-irradiated, and produced without pesticides which means they’re one of the world’s purest seeds, so you can eat them without worrying about consuming harmful pesticide residues!
2. Chia Seeds Are Typically Non-GMO And Grown Organically
3. Chia Seeds Are Suitable For A Low Carb DietIf you’re watching your carbohydrate intake, then chia seeds are your friend! The net carb content is only 1 gram per ounce, which is really low! Plus, as chia seeds contain so much fiber, they can also help you stay full for longer - supporting any weight loss efforts, or simply curbing those hunger pangs.
4. They’re Good For Your Digestive SystemThe fiber in chia seeds also help to support your digestive system. Feeding the bacteria in the intestine, which helps them to thrive and nourish your body with essential compounds for immunity and overall health.
5. Chia Seeds Are A Great Source Of Plant ProteinThese tiny little seeds are about 14% protein, which is high compared to most plants! A diet higher in protein has been shown to help reduce appetite, improve muscle repair, and even curb nighttime snacking by 50%!
6. Trying To Lose Weight? Add Chia!Due to the protein and fiber content of chia, as well as its ability to absorb a stack of water (hello tummy-filling power!), chia seeds make a great addition to your diet if you’re trying to maintain or lose weight.
7. Chia Seeds Support Healthy BonesGram for gram, chia seeds have more calcium than most dairy products providing 18% of the Recommended Dietary Allowance for adults in a single ounce! As well as being high in several nutrients important for bone health, including calcium, phosphorus,
8. They Help To Detoxify The BodyAs the highest combined plant source of omega-3,
9. They're A Natural Beauty Food!The blend of nutrients in chia seeds such as healthy fats, protein and minerals including zinc help promote healthy skin,
10. Protect Your Heart With ChiaJust one tablespoon of chia will provide you with 100% of your daily requirement for omega-3 ALA. Research shows that plant-based omega-3 is essential for a healthy heart by helping to lower cholesterol while maintaining proper artery function. Both omega-3 ALA and DHA (found in oily fish) are vital in lowering the risk of cardiovascular disease, and chia has plenty!
11. Reduce Your Risk Of Colon CancerWith 36% fiber content and a perfect balance of 80% insoluble versus 20% soluble, chia helps lower cholesterol, improves intestinal health and regularity and can reduce the risk of colon cancer.
12. Reduce Your Risk Of Metabolic SyndromeChia seeds are rich in soluble fiber which dissolves in water, swelling to form a gel-like substance. This helps to improve your heart health by keeping blood sugar spikes at bay and lowering cholesterol.
13. Chia Seeds Are Gluten-FreeThat means Coeliacs and those intolerant to gluten are also able to enjoy the benefits of these super seeds! Plus they don’t come with the potentially damaging effects of gluten when consumed in excess.
14. Chia Seeds Are Great For Those With DiabetesA study in those with Type 2 Diabetes showed that chia seeds can significantly lower blood pressure and a marker for inflammation.
Chia seeds aren’t only fun to eat, but they’re so full of goodness that you’re body will love them!