FOLLOW THE FILMMAKERS
4 Simple Detox Tips For The New Year
By James Colquhoun, Filmmaker Food Matters & Hungry For Change
The body's ability to naturally detoxify and heal itself is a phenomenal process. Why not give your body a gentle, helping hand, to improve this amazing purifying process, and welcome your body into a fresh, healthy, new 2014!
Here are 4 really simple tips that you can try and incorporate into every day!
1. Drink More Water
Too often we misinterpret thirst for hunger. Our signal for thirst may cause us to eat as we mistake it for hunger pains. Reach for water first and make sure you are well hydrated before eating any meal throughout the day. Breakfast, lunch and dinner included.
Where possible make sure to drink your water at least 30 minutes before eating as this will allow time for the water to properly penetrate the cells of your body and hydrate your stomach lining in preparation for proper digestion. I like to add lemon juice and apple cider vinegar to my water or green it up with the Food Matters Superfood Greens. Yum! If you don't have our Superfood Greens you can use a high quality barley grass powder, wheatgrass powder, spirulina or chlorella.
2. Add A Green Juice To Your DayGreen juices are an amazing way to add life giving and detoxifying plant chlorophyll to your bloodstream. As Jason Vale says in 'Hungry For Change', "juicing is the ultimate fast food, it is a 15 minute nutrient express to health". Some of my favorite and simple green juice recipes include:
Green Juice Recipe Ideas
- Celery, lemon and pear (or apple)
- Celery, cucumber, lemon (leave the skin on) and pear (or apple)
- Celery, cucumber, kale, lemon and pear (or apple)
- Celery, cucumber, lemon, parsley and pear (or apple)
I also like to stir through 1 teaspoon of Food Matters Superfood Greens to my juices to green them up even more! If you don't have the Superfood Greens then you could try barley grass, wheatgrass, spirulina or chlorella powders instead.
3. Add More Parsley and Cilantro (Coriander) To Your DietParsley and cilantro (coriander) are very powerful natural green plant foods for detoxing heavy metals out of your body. Add these amazing herbs to juices, salads, soups and meals. Mike Adams from Natural News talks more about this also in the film 'Hungry For Change'.
Heavy Metal Detox Pesto Recipe:
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup Brazil nuts (selenium source) or macadamia nuts
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds (cysteine source)
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds (zinc, magnesium sources)
- 1 cup fresh cilantro (coriander)
- 1 cup parsley
- 2/3 cup cold pressed olive oil
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice (Vitamin C source)
- Big pinch of sea salt and or dulse flakes to flavor
Soak the seeds and nuts overnight to release the enzyme exhibitors. Process the parsley, cilantro (coriander) and olive oil in a blender until chopped. Add the garlic, nuts, and seeds, salt/dulse and lemon juice and mix until the mixture is finely blended into a paste. Store in dark glass jars if possible. It freezes well also if needs be. Enjoy!
4. Breathe Deep Into Your AbdomenDeep breathing, where you fill your belly and expand your diaphragm downwards, is one of the most powerful exercises you can do to activate your lymph system which helps to detoxify your body. Think of your lymph system as your own personal garbage removal system (which most of us will need in full steam after the holiday season). Practice 10 deep slow breaths counting 4 seconds in, 8 seconds hold and 8 seconds out. You can do this exercise watching the TV, walking the dog, during meditation or whilst practicing yoga.
According to the 'Tao of Breathing' up to 70% of our body’s waste products are eliminated via our lungs and the rest through the urine, skin and feces. When the efficiency of our lungs is reduced due to poor breathing less oxygen is available to our cells, it slows down the flow of blood which carries wastes from the kidneys and lungs. Our lymphatic system which fights off viral and bacterial invaders is weakened along with a slower digestive process.
Breathe long slow and deep in a mindful-state as often as possible.
Here's to a healthy, happy and wonderfully abundant 2014!
In good health,
James, Laurentine and the 'Food Matters' team.
Here are some great detox products to shed those extra pounds and get you energized this year!
FREE WEEKLY NEWSLETTER
Yes, keep me up to date with healthy lifestyle tips,
quick and easy recipes, natural healing news and more!